Tuesday, September 27, 2011

[Bi-Weekly: prompt 1] Family inspiration

Ever since I was born, I have always looked up to the members of my family.  Being so close-nit, I knew each and every member of my family and most of my extended family by name, and conversed with them on a personal level.  My father's siblings are comprised of a mix of very athletic, and well balanced individuals.  All of them held diverse, yet important jobs, ranging from pharmacists and optometrists to a SWAT police sniper.  On my mom's side, her brother is an architect, and sister in law, a Human resource manager at UC Berkley.  As I grew up and became extremely close to all of my relatives, I realized that most of them, if not all, helped people and kept people safe in their line of work.  They all seemed like superheros, helping people on a daily basis; in some cases saving lives.  I could not fathom the possibility of loosing a family member that inspired me so much.  I looked up to my uncles and aunties as young boy, wanting to help people like they did.  This was the stepping stone of what I would aspire to work towards, a career that kept people safe.

My uncles and aunties always shared stories to me as a very young child, being that I was able to converse on a adult level at a relatively young age.  They gave me special attention because they realized that I was not just going through the motions of talking to a relative, but actually was showing interest in their professions.  Since I was a child, I had wanted to be a policeman or a fireman, and my uncle Robert, being a SWAT sniper told numerous stories of times when he saved lives in hostage situations, while risking his own in the process.  The doctors in my family shared their experiences with helping patients and how one of them gained so many networks in the field of optometry.  My uncle Geno, the architect, inspired my sense of creativity and design.  I constantly fantasied about helping build infrastructure in underdeveloped countries or helping to bring water and food to famished communities.  The society of man is build upon infrastructures, and is comprised of individuals with needs, and I felt the need to fill the void of those who could not receive proper care. 

My Grandma, as well as her eldest son, my Uncle Ed, embodied the gift of giving and charitable work.  The whole family, including my father grew up in the projects of Chinatown in a time of both crime and innovation.  Up to this day, each and every member of the family still contributes to the church organization that provided community and support for immigrant families. 

The vivid and inspiring stories of my relatives motivated me to pursue a career in healthcare in which my goal is to become a doctor in the city where I work to improve my study, and then later be stationed in a foreign country that is in need of doctors and support.  For people in other countries that lack the heroes and well being that I have, my ultimate dream is to fill their void as a friend and provider of health and hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment