Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Savant




I've always wondered what it would be like to be not just talented, but super humanly talented in one subject or another.  However, when I think of this, I never take into account the price (if any) I would have to pay, or sacrifices I would need to make to accommodate such a great ability.  In the video above, there is a man who is living out my dream, however, with the addition of a more realistic circumstance.

The man in the video has severe savant-ism.  In short terms, this means that he is mentally handicapped, and has an imbalance in the brain which often times allows for accelerated performance in certain subjects.  In this man's case, his special talent involves his visual photographic memory and his ability to draw vast cities from a bird's eye view, from what he remembers in his head.  Unfortunately with savants, talent like his comes at a price.  Many savants are "idiots", meaning they are socially challenged, and some have severe trouble with other subjects other than the one(s) they are gifted in.

I enjoy learning about the superhuman side of life, and how people transcend reality, amazing people on the way.  I also feel that there is often a price to be payed for every talent, which is unfortunate, but a part of life nonetheless.  I think it would be very interesting to meet a savant.  I would enjoy picking there brain on astrology, math, looking at their extraordinary art, or just listening to their music.  

This brings up a question that I think might shed light on who people really are, what they are like, and what they see as important in life, "If you were a savant, what would be special talent?"

1 comment:

  1. Diggin' this post, especially the thought-provoking question at the end of it. (I have no answer at the moment, but it's got me thinking. Mine might have to be in the music arena somewhere, but the problem with any answer one gives to the question is that it quickly can sound like bragging. Which is not my intention.)

    Book recommendation:

    http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Incident-Dog-Night-Time/dp/1400032717/

    About a math savant who goes on a scary journey to solve a wacky mystery and uncovers stuff about his family history and himself along the way. Written from the point of view of the savant himself, so you really "get in his head." It's one of those stories that makes you sympathize with somebody much different from yourself...which I always think is a big plus. Lots of students have loved this one.

    ReplyDelete