Thursday, January 19, 2012

Last post of the simester, real talk tho

Not really sure if we should be posting but whatever, as long as its not harming anyone, it should be fine. I just want to get my thoughts "on paper" before I forget them as a new semester begins.

As I lounge on my couch, and think back on my years in highschool, I have fond memories as well as regrets, as any student would have. Ive observed our school change as budget cuts slashed the money that is supposed to be helping educate us, and more specifically, I have seen teachers come and go with more frequency. This brings me to Mr. Sutherland, my English teacher, who honestly I have had mixed thoughts about throughout the beginning of the year, but have semi-recently come to the realization that he was the only teacher that I knew that was accurately reflecting/bringing to attention the school's situation, as well as the world's situation. The other teachers were doing what they normally did, teaching, maybe with the budget/economy/their own lives in the back of their head. Mr. Sutherland however, was very open to the class and shared not only bits of his life, but somehow pulled our thoughts and feelings out of our heads as he exposed us not just to curriculum, but the actual events that were going on around us. I felt like more of a universal student rather than a student of Alameda High School's senior english class. I was relating myself and my school to others around the world, whether it be in Chile, or say Libya. For this reason, I believe Mr. Sutherland is somewhat of an unrecognized pioneer of modern day teaching. With his introduction of current events, coupled with video clips and deep discussions pertaining to issues that effected us, he was bringing about, what i felt was somewhat of a new generation of teaching. If you think about it, humans are all about progression, and over the course of our recent history, we really have not been progressing in our education fields. Curriculum have only been expanded on, wile teaching style has really been put on the back burner, and as a consequence, i am beginning to easily forget the past teachers I have had, because the majority of them had blended into the status quo of teaching, which has not always been the most effective means of learning, personally.

Come this next semester, we won't be seeing Mr. Sutherland, at least in our English class that is. (Oops if i wasn't supposed to spill that, but I assume everyone knows anyways?idk i hope its good). However, I will be forever grateful for the things he has taught me. He has this aura about him that just makes you want to think outside the box, widen your perspectives, and take action in your life. He seems fearless in the face of change, and I hope the best for him in his future endeavors.

1 comment: